Friday, January 13, 2006

Damn it

I've been searching for jobs constantly over the in internet classifieds since I graduated. To be honest I don't have any coherent thought to any particular job I see and more self doubt in myself when I find a job that looks interesting. I literally don't know what to do with myself as far as looking for a job that is supposed to support me with an average income and benefits and everything else that people keep shoving down my throat as to how my life should be. I'm frustrated if not angry....

As I was searching the startribune.com's job search, I ran across a news article that had just been published a few minutes ago today (Jan 13th, 2006 @ 1:18 am).
"2004 Minnesota Teacher of the Year dies in car crash". I glanced at it at least 3 times trying comprehend in my mind as to who this was. I knew who it was. I just didn't believe it. I had never met Tom Keating, but the 2004 teacher of the year spook to us future teachers at St. Cloud State University only last Nov. during a student teacher conference. He was our keynote speaker, and a damn good one. Keating taught at Turning Point, a school for "at risk students" in the Monticello area. I'll never forget what he said to us at the teacher conference. "Make that connection with the student", referring to how you can build trust and respect from a student by simply trying to get to know them. It sounds like the easiest thing in the world to do, and it is, but how often do people take the time to ask you how your day was, or what your family is up too... If you can build that connection with a student you have more of an opportunity to plug into that student to help them learn. That lesson I believe applies to everyday life. Take the time with your own family, friends, friends you haven't talked too in a while, co-workers, etc... To build those connections, get to know somebody. That's the kind of guy I believe he was from his speech. He believed in people. He took the time to get to know that "at risk" student who was labeled and then got to know who the real person who was behind that label. He was a motivating force, who I could tell enjoyed what he was doing in life, at that was teaching, and above all living life to its fullest by making sure other peoples lives around him where as great as his.

I'm saddened by a loss of such a great person, and my heart goes out to his family and everyone else out there he inspired. It makes me angry that we have to loose such a good guy, and I can't really make much sense out of it now. What I can do now is live for today. Make it the best day I can with what means I have while taking the time for the people in my life and maybe get to know them a bit better.

The article from the Startribune.com

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Weak, dude.

But, on the "finding a job" vein -- welcome to the Big Search, the routine that drove me from the teaching business and into the fruitless "call-center-management while-trying-to-get-a-job-in-writing" field.

You'll find something, though. You'll have more options being in the MPLS area -- I screwed myself by moving to Sioux Falls and being unwilling to move again.

9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there, I happened to come across your website while looking for Tom Keatings memorial website. Yes, he is an amazing person. I had the opportunity to work with him for several years. He was inspirational,always welcoming and a true leader.. My words of advice for you: Be yourself, get involved with things you like and things will fall into place. I'm glad you were able to hear Tom speak. Good luck.

8:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for your kind words about my father. He is missed everyday by so many.

3:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home