Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Politicians

If you don't know, I'm an Art Education Major at SCSU. Since I've joined the bandwagon known as the National Endowment for the Arts (NEA), I take part in lobbying and notifying representatives about the arts. I wrote to my local Rep. Mark Kennedy a few month ago regarding certain upcoming amendments. Today I received a response from Kennedy, which to be honest was very nice to get. It was a very nicely written letter regarding the letter I wrote to him. I have no gripes with his reponse, because it comes with no surprise. He does mention he enjoys the arts, which is great, and has looked into a way to help support the arts. It's not the full support of which I was looking for, but like other Republican representatives I wasn't expecting it to go all the way.
My letter entailed support for the NEA by $15 million. That did pass, but by a voiced vote. This means no record of who voted for it will be taken. He didn't mention if he voted for it or not. I think republicans who do vote for things like the arts or education are afraid to let those opinions known to their core voters. That's my opinion, and if I'm right, it's a sad state of affairs. I'm not going to complain more about the Republicans in office, or give my opinion right now of them, but I would like to hear yours. This is the letter I received today from Rep. Mark Kennedy. Let me know what you think.


June 21, 2005


Mr. David Wick

Blaine, Minnesota 55449-7905


Dear Mr. Wick:

Thank you for contacting me with your support for increased funding for
the National Endowment for the Arts (NEA). I appreciate hearing from
you.

As you may know, last year Congress passed the Omnibus Appropriations
Act for FY 2005, which included $122 million for the NEA. I believe
that with a budget deficit projected to exceed $400 billion this year
alone, this amount represents a noteworthy accomplishment at a time when it
is crucial that all government spending be carefully scrutinized.

You specifically mentioned your support for an amendment to H.R. 2361,
the Department of the Interior Appropriations Act for FY2006, to
increase funding for the NEA by $15 million. You will be pleased to know
that this amendment passed by voice vote and was included in the final
version of the bill passed by the House. H.R. 2361 is now before the
Senate for its consideration. This funding is in addition to the
substantial funding the NEA receives from private donations and membership. In
fact, in 2003, the NEA received $1.5 million in donations.

As a fond admirer of the talents few people possess to make truly
beautiful art, I believe that there are other ways in which we can help
encourage the arts. That's why I have cosponsored H.R. 1120, the Artists'
Contribution to American Heritage Act of 2005, introduced by my
colleague Representative Jim Ramstad. This bill would allow artists,
musicians, authors, and scholars to take a fair market value tax deduction for
contributions of their work, the copyrights to their work, or both to
certain tax-exempt organizations. H.R. 1120 will help museums and
galleries with limited financial resources acquire new works of art, and
help give artists more financial freedom. This bill is currently under
review in the House Ways and Means Committee.

I want you to know that your thoughts and concerns are an important
part of my decision making process, and I value your opinions. Again,
thank you for taking the time to contact me. I hope you will continue to
do so whenever there is anything I can do for you.
Sincerely,

Mark Kennedy
Member of Congress

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home